Friday, December 20, 2013

Advent Draws to a Close

Christmas is less than a week away, and in these last few days of Advent, I'm reflecting on the past month.


How am I no longer desolate, now that Christ has come?
In his epistle to the Galatians, St. Paul alludes to the prophet Isaiah in chapter four, when he writes about the Church before Christ came. He powerfully compares the Church before Christ's coming as the barren, desolate woman who had no children. These descriptions confused me before I took December to actually observe Advent. After all, Advent is the season we observe prior to Christmas-- to imprint upon us a small part of the experience of the Church before Christ came to redeem it. This period of waiting has shown me how frail I am as a human, and how sinful. I've had to rely upon the Lord to walk me through the days, learning each day that I cannot accomplish anything on my own.

What does Christmas mean to me, which it hadn't meant before?
Before observing Advent, I didn't fully understand the significance that Christmas holds in the narrative of the Church. I knew it was important that Christ was born, so he could eventually redeem mankind. What I hadn't considered is how monumental this was: Christ's coming marked the beginning of the plan of salvation. It was what the prophets and other faithful people had been awaiting. It was the beginning of the fulfillment of the promise. It was the seed planted, and Easter is the seed coming to fruition.

Both fasting during Advent and listening to Advent hymns helped me understand the meaning of this season. My church had an Advent Lessons & Carols event, and I was also blessed to attend one at another church. As I read the words to these hymns, I was struck by the poignancy of this season.


My favorite for this season has been "Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending" (if you would like to listen to a fantastic version of it on youtube, I would recommend this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYf4W5Fy_2w).

Here are some of the words:


Lo! he comes, with clouds descending,
once for our salvation slain;
thousand thousand saints attending
swell the triumph of his train:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
Christ the Lord returns to reign.

Now redemption, long expected,
see in solemn pomp appear;
all his saints, by man rejected,
now shall meet him in the air:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
See the day of God appear!

Yea, amen! let all adore thee,
high on thine eternal throne;
Savior, take the power and glory;
claim the kingdom for thine own:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
Thou shalt reign, and thou alone.


May your Christmas season be deepened by the knowledge of its significance, and may you be blessed at the coming of the new year!



No comments:

Post a Comment